Be the Spirit Maker!
As the Spirit Chemist, one of my favorite parts of the job is to develop the formula and process for a new spirit. Now you can delve into that part of the work and develop your own gin. I have developed a core recipe using seven wildcrafted and organic botanicals: (juniper, coriander, angelica, orange peel, lemon peel, orris root, and cardamom. It's easy and fun to make a gin with the kit and you can also embellish with your flair if desired.
You will need:
- The Spiritopia D.I.Y. Gin Kit (includes botanicals and filter bag)
- A bottle of vodka
- A funnel
- Buy yourself a bottle of vodka. It can be your favorite or just a decent bottle - not the bottom shelf and not necessarily the top shelf, either.
- Remove about 3 ounces from the bottle and set it aside (or make yourself and a friend a nice cocktail!)
- Using a funnel, add the contents of the botanical tin (except the filter bag) to the bottle. Give it a good shake.
- Set the bottle aside away from heat and light for 24 hours. If you shake it now and then, the infusion will be a bit stronger.
- After a day, taste the gin. We find find that it is light and nicely balanced at that point, but you can go longer if you want a more robust flavor. The color will be a beautiful golden amber.
- When you feel it is ready, pour the gin through the filter bag into another container. Add the set aside vodka if it is still around.
- Refill your original bottle or another of your choosing with the finished gin.
We recommend that you follow the standard recipe for your first try, but then it is time to get adventurous! Do you like a more juniper-forward gin? Crush some or all of the juniper berries in your fingertips as you add them to the bottle. How about adding star anise, grains of paradise, cinnamon, or more citrus? You may have your own unique botanicals to try or we have all these and many more at the distillery tasting room. Craft your own truly uniqe spirit.
If you have any questions or comments or to order kits or botanicals, feel free to contact the Spirit Chemist.